Sunday, January 2, 2011

#23: Everything Everything, "Photoshop Handsome"

One of my favorite out-of-nowhere musical finds from the mid-90s was Chavez, a guitar-heavy, math rock (yes, math rock is a thing; see: Pink Floyd) band whose album, Ride the Fader, still gets play in my iPod. In fact, if I’m taking a run to the dump in my truck (purchase price: two bottles of wine), it’s Chavez that accompanies me for reasons I can not explain but always prove appropriate.

Everything Everything is a Brit math rock band that comes off far less angry about life than Chavez ever did, but the music shares the same atypical rhythm and dissonance typical of the genre. The lyrics are baffling, leaving me with no sense about what this song might actually be about, thereby keeping it low on the list. But, as with deadmau5, “Photoshop Handsome” gets the blood aflowing, and isn’t that half of the point of music?


Or just watch the video below. Or don’t and simply imagine what it might sound like.

2 comments:

  1. Parts of this video made me feel distinctly uncomfortable. Catchy tune, though; thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually hadn't seen the video before I posted it. It's clearly the work of someone with too much time to photoshop.

    ReplyDelete