Saturday, January 8, 2011

#19: Band of Horses, "Laredo"

“What kind of music do you typically have here?,” asks Elwood upon entering Bob’s Country Bunker. “Oh, we get both kinds. Country and Western,” answers the waitress.

The list hasn’t been particularly diverse up to now. I assure you that will change as straight rock, R&B, and, yes, rap are in the offing. But neither country nor western will be making an appearance. The last country song I remember actually liking was Garth Brooks, “I’ve Got Friends In Low Places.” I’ve heard of but have never heard Taylor Swift. I’m pretty sure the Oak Ridge Boys are no longer around. And I completely missed when Gwyneth Paltrow became “Country Strong.”

Band of Horses are the second-closest I’m going to get to country and/or western on this list (await #16 for the answer to the question not asked). Their album, Infinite Arms, was an international hit, reaching the Top Ten in Denmark, Greece, Norway, and Sweden. However, the Germans never took it higher than #88. (True Fact: the top selling single in Germany for 2010 was a cover of “Over the Rainbow” by Hawaiian Israel Kamakawiwo’ole. Ah, Germans.)

To the Hype Machine! To the Hype Machine: http://hypem.com/#!/search/laredo/1/ which also gives you a taste of Willie Nelson if you keep listening.  

Or go all audio-visual with the video player below.

No comments:

Post a Comment